Monday, January 3, 2011

"Late Afternoon Near Glacier Creek"


5" x7"

Oil on panel



Well, I really enjoyed my time off with my son, but I'm looking forward to painting and posting in the new year.

This first painting for the new year was painted in Rocky Mountain National Park, near Glacier Creek. It had been cloudy and stormy for a couple of weeks and this was the first clear day. I snow-shoed off the trail a ways and started this one when the shadows were getting long. By the time I finished, I had lost the sunlight, (because of the high peaks just to the west, this happens about 3:30pm this time of year) and it made me think how easy it would be to head back too late and not be able to find the trail again. Thankfully, the times when I have headed back too late, nothing has ever happened to me - still - it made me think I should pay a little more attention sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment